Friday, March 23, 2012

The naked truth

I've said it before you never know what assignments the day will bring.  Just the other day I was taking pictures of a a scared little chihuahua cowering in a corner of the Tracy Animal Shelter.  Next day I'm taking pictures of a naked chick getting covered with paint.  Ho-hum, my boring days never end.
Ok, she wasn't completely nude.  To tell the truth she was in the buff from the waist up.  We were working on a story about a local artist who started a business of body painting.  She turns skin into a canvas as she paints a variety of designs from clothes to flowers on her subjects.  We would sit in on a painting session transforming a woman into wearing a baseball jersey.
I knew about the assignment for a couple of days and I already had the lecture.  "We're a family newspaper-keep it clean" were the instructions given to me.  Seems some people hold a grudge against me for a certain streaker photo (award winning streaker photo I might add) so they thought I might try to sneak in a stray cheek or breast into the frame.  No pressure.  I'm going to photograph a nearly naked woman being covered in paint but keep it tasteful.  And people wonder why I drink coffee and take Tylenol like it's going out of style...
So I'll cut to the chase, there is young Tanya, naked from the waist up covered in paint.  Yellow paint.  Ok, so what are we going to shoot.  Well my options are pretty limiters.  after the first three minutes in the room I am pretty much thinking I am locked into a view from the back.  There is too much showing from the front.  they would run a butt they are less likely to run any kind of breast shot so I have to make an interesting pose from behind.
There is a lot of "ok try moving this way, no the other way-turn your head, just your head" and comments like that.  A nearby mirror poses a problem as I can see just a little too much pin the reflection.  Well maybe a carefully positioned arm or elbow can mitigate that issue.  Keep it clean the editor said.  No worries I said.
Well anyway I think I have enough shots and maybe an interesting view so I head back to the office.  I go through the shoot and the mirror did ruin a few shots but overall I think i have something that could run in the paper.  Sort of.  maybe without offending too many people.  Heck who am I kidding, i just shoot the photos, other people will field the calls.
So another memorable assignment in the books.  I wonder what the coming week will bring.  I did lose out on the opportunity to have a  picture of a naked breast AND a naked butt cheek in print in the same issue.  Maybe some day.  Possibly.  Sure...maybe.  No, not really.  Back to pictures of scared chihuahuas and car crashes for me.  Somehow it seems safer.