Monday, May 17, 2010

Chalk it up


When I first head about this assignment I didn't think it would be this good. I was assigned to shoot a chalk drawing at Tracy High but no one told me the scale of the art work.

An advanced art student for her last high school drawing decide to make a chalk drawing of a giant koi pond on the campus sidewalk. I caught up with her after she had been working on the drawing for about four hours. The entire project was expected to take her about six to complete.




I went for some high-angle wide shots to show the scope of her work then worked on some tight closeups of her chalk-covered hands as she worked to smooth and blend the colors together.

I really liked the splash of color against the stark gray of the sidewalk I think it really worked well. Tight close-ups also showed the detail in the chalk work which turned out to be the most colorful thing I shot in some time.

No comments: