Sunday, November 2, 2008

Names on a wall


A Boy Scout came up to me when I was on assignment today and asked what I was taking a picture of. I pointed to one of the names covering eight walls of a memorial sitting in the middle of Veterans Park. The name was among the thousands inscribed and read, “Menusa, Joseph”. He asked why and I told him he was the first serviceman from Tracy killed in the Iraq war. Somewhere in the endless rows of names are six more Tracy servicemen who gave their lives in service to their country. Names on a wall listing sacrifice, courage and loss.



I always get a little sad covering assignments like these. Tracy has a paid a high price with the loss of seven servicemen in the war. I have met many of the family members in their time of grief and have tried to show their pride and love of their children and depth of their loss.



Veterans Park was dedicated in their honor and in honor of all veterans and those in service to our country now. It will be a good place to remember all those who have served our country in time of need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Pictures. It was an amazing ceremony and you really captured some great parts of it. Thanks.

friend S said...

I don't live anywhere near Tracy, but I am an American. I was moved by your photos. Your pictures speak without words. God bless America.

Anonymous said...

I was at the event. Moved me to tears at times. Glad I saw the brief in the Press Saturday morning and decided to take my neighbor with me.