Friday, December 7, 2007

Dazzling display


Like a yearly trip to see Santa a photo assignment to Loma Prieta Court in Tracy is turning into my holiday tradition. Michael Murphy and his family turn their house into a light spectacular.

The home features 20,000 lights on the house, fence, trees, shrubs and yard. Two 20-amp lines are dedicated to feed the lights that are controlled to cycle and flash to music.

I visited the home again and the best time to shoot the display is just at dusk as there is still enough light in the sky to show the house but still capture the warm glow of the lights.

I don’t really try to color balance the lights; I like the different tints from the strings of incandescent bulbs. A high ISO sensitivity setting gives me a fast enough shutter speed for the available light exposure.

No comments: