Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cultures


I had the opportunity to photograph the Persian New year celebration today. Marking the beginning of spring and a new year it is a celebration steeped in traditions some three thousand years old.

There were dancers, music, colorful costumes, readings, and a selection of foods for the celebration. It was an interesting glimpse at a portion of our community and their culture we don’t often see.

As one man said it was not about politics, it was about celebrating family, friends, the beauty of a spring day and the joy of a new year.

Looking back I am a little sad I did not explore my own cultural traditions and get involved in my Portuguese heritage. I envy the young people I saw today as they celebrated their culture with the hope of a new year.

No comments: