Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Light speed


It may look like Christmas a tree traveling at warp speed but to tell the truth everything in the picture is standing still. This is an old trick I haven’t used in a long time.

I was shooting the holiday light show and it had not been the most exciting event I have been to. Now to spice things up a little I employed an old photo trick of zooming in and out during a long exposure.

I chose a small aperture that gave me a shutter speed of a half second. Using a wide-angle zoom I twisted from the widest focal length to the longer focal length. The change was not quick enough to not record most of the detail in the scene but rewarded me with a n exciting set of lights streaking from the Christmas trees.

Now I would never use this in a news assignment for the Tracy Press but it is just cool enough to find a home in my Christmas cards this year.

No comments: